An worldwide panel of physicians, researchers, and folks with diabetes who know all about steady glucose monitoring (CGM) gathered on the Advanced Technologies & Treatment for Diabetes Congress.
Their purpose was to put out pointers that may very well be used for healthcare suppliers, sufferers, and researchers relating to utilizing, understanding, and reporting CGM information in scientific care and analysis.
Here are just a few of the suggestions they got here up with primarily based on what’s presently identified concerning how CGM information doubtlessly impacts outcomes.
Regarding the A1c Test
- HbA1c needs to be measured utilizing an authorized gadget (see www.ngsp.org) or the IFCC (see www.ifcchba1c.web).
- Healthcare suppliers and sufferers ought to purpose for an HbA1c stage “as close to normal as possible without severe hypoglycemia or a significant amount of nonsecure hypoglycemic” whereas nonetheless individualizing blood sugar targets by way of components comparable to a affected person’s age, how lengthy they’ve had diabetes, different circumstances they’ve, and anticipated life expectancy.
When HbA1c doesn’t correlate with the eA1c primarily based on imply glucose, different blood glucose measuring strategies needs to be used like, fructosamine, glycated albumin, SMBG, and CGM information in order that blood sugar administration and remedy plan modifications will be accomplished most precisely and safely.
CGM information needs to be used to have a look at low blood sugar ranges in addition to glucose variability.
Use of Glucose Monitoring Methods and CGM
- CGM needs to be a thought of software together with the HbA1c check when determining blood sugar administration and altering present remedy therapies in all these with kind 1 diabetes and in these with kind 2 diabetes who use intensive insulin remedy who aren’t hitting their blood sugar targets, notably in the event that they’re having points with low blood sugars.
Minimum Requirements for CGM Performance
- “Only CGM methods that present a suitable stage of sensor accuracy needs to be used.
When Assessing Glucose Variability
- Blood sugar variability info taken from CGM information needs to be thought of alongside further components to get a greater image of blood sugar administration in a scientific setting.
Time in Range
“Percentages of time in ranges (goal, hypoglycemia, and hyperglycemia) needs to be assessed and reported.”
The panel states that the “CGM is a robust research tool, and continuous glucose data should be recognized by governing bodies as a valuable and meaningful end point to be used in clinical trials of new drugs and devices for diabetes treatment.”
They add that wanting carefully at hypoglycemia (low blood sugar) and time-in-range is necessary relating to scientific trials. Also, to actually get advantages from the CGM and getting essentially the most use out of them in a scientific trial, CGM needs to be worn on a “near-daily” foundation.
They end by stating that relating to scientific follow, the superior metrics for analyzing CGM information are a good suggestion to make use of alongside A1c information for many individuals with diabetes. They write that CGM needs to be thought of to assist these with diabetes enhance their blood sugar administration if they’ve the help and training out there to them.
Photo Credit: New Now Next, diaTribe
Post Views: zero
Read extra about A1c, CGM information, scientific analysis, steady glucose monitor (CGM), insulin, low blood glucose/sugar (hypoglycemia).